Mixcloud will promote your Select Channel to your fans. But you are always the best placed person to promote your Select Channel to your fans and potential subscribers. To be a successful Select Creator, you should make sure you do this as much as possible. Below are some tips on effective language and tactics we’ve seen Select Creators use.
Create a compelling message
First off you’ll need to make a compelling message which should include the main points of why they should subscribe, such as:
- They’re supporting you as a creator
- They’re supporting the artists and rights holders whose music you play
- They’re supporting audio culture in general
- They’re becoming part of an inner circle of fans who are closer to you
- As part of the inner circle they may get extra benefits (exclusives, offline listening, tracklistings etc)
We’ve also found that the following phrases have worked well for other Select Creators, you may want to use them in your messaging:
- I’m a Mixcloud Select Creator
- Subscribe to my channel to support the culture
- Subscribe to my channel to support me and the artists whose music I play
- Get Close to me on Select
- Hear exclusive shows, listen offline and see upfront tracklists
- Did you know? Music on Mixcloud is fully licensed, so by supporting these shows you’re supporting the artists who make these tunes
Promote Select in your shows
The most effective place to encourage fans to subscribe to your Select Channel is within your shows.
If you talk in your shows, why not refer to the benefits of Select subscription and how this supports audio culture. Select Creator Ben Gomori promotes at the beginning of every show.
If you don’t talk in your shows, why not consider having jingles made that promote Select as a way of breaking up the mix. Select Creator dublab does this very effectively.
If you’re a radio station, as well as having jingles you may want a script in the studio for presenters to read during their show. Select Creator Soho Radio created one to promote Select on every show.
Guests are great for promoting your Select Channel to an even larger audience. Consider asking any guests you have on shows to promote both your show and your Select Channel on their social media or other platforms.
Don’t forget the show description! As well as giving information about the show, why not promote Select. If the show is an exclusive, then explain in the description why it’s special and how to get it before everyone else.
Promote Select through other channels
As well as promoting through your shows, consider using other channels of promotion.
If you have a mailing list, a newsletter or even just the email addresses of your friends and family then promote your show and your Select Channel via email.
If you don’t have one already, consider creating a website or blog to showcase your shows and your Select Channel.
A key place to promote both your shows and your Select Channel to fans. Make sure your posts are varied and creative to make sure your posts stand out on fan’s social feeds.
Dos and Don’ts
- Use your Select Page URL. This will send fans directly to where they can subscribe to your channel. It’ll always be www.mixcloud.com/[yourMixcloudChannelname]/select
- Tag @MIxcloud in your posts. Mention us on Twitter and Instagram so we can share your content
- Use Select hashtags. These are #MixcloudSelect, #GetCloser, #SelectCreator and #Mixcloud
- Refer to your Select Creator status as ‘elite’ or ‘chosen’. Select is an inclusive program of creators from across genres and styles.