Jump ahead in this article:
- How does the Profile Subscription revenue model work?
- How to choose your Profile Subscription price
- How to change your Profile Subscription price
With Profile Subscriptions, anyone can subscribe directly to a creator’s account for a small monthly fee. The minimum is set to (£/$/€) 2.99 depending on local currencies.
The subscription price is flexible. As a creator, this means you can set your own price starting from the minimum. Your fans can pledge to pay more if they wish. You will receive a direct portion of what your subscribers pay.
How does the Profile Subscription revenue model work?
The Profile Subscription feature is more than just a fan club. It’s based on a unique revenue share model that enables everyone involved in making the shows to receive a portion of the subscription revenue. This is possible because Mixcloud is licensed with all major music labels and major publishers, which means revenue flows in all the right directions.
As a creator, Profile Subscriptions enable you to build an inner circle of fans who directly support you, plus all music and artists played in your shows. Creators receive 60% of subscription revenue after costs.
The costs are the fees due to artists, labels and publishers and transaction fees, which typically represent 65%-70% of the total subscription revenue. That means the artists, labels and publishers involved in creating the music played in a show (a DJ mix or radio show, for example) receive their cut from the paid-out royalty revenue.
For more information on the Profile Subscription revenue model, see our post How We Pay Creators and Why We Do It.
How to choose your profile price
You'll be asked to choose your profile price when first setting up your upsell page. We encourage you to think about what you’re giving your fans and feel confident to charge more.
You can set your monthly price from 2.99 (EUR, USD or GBP). This is the minimum amount fans need to pay to subscribe. Sales tax will be added, depending on location.
The price you set directly impacts how much you earn. You can choose to set a higher minimum price, and your subscribers can choose to pay more if they wish.
- Consider what your fans are willing to pay for what you upload. If you have an engaged audience and a rich catalogue of shows, feel confident to set a higher price of 3.99 or more.
- If you’re a radio station, you will likely be uploading shows more regularly than the average Mixcloud creator. Consider charging 4.99 or more.
- Keep an eye on subscriptions coming in via your dashboard. If your loyal subscribers are willing to pay more, consider increasing the minimum accordingly.
After you publish your page, you may notice that your subscribers are choosing to pay more than your set price. In this case, we encourage you to increase your price.
How to change your profile price
If you have already set your profile price and would like to change it, please fill out this form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.